A teenager just can't learn how to grow up in the ruined world he lives in. So how does he cope? He doesn't. He knows that he and the world don't go together. But he's okay with that...beacause at least he knows where he's going.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Goodbye, Yellow Brick Road

When are you gonna come down?
When are you going to land?
I should have stayed on the farm
I should have listened to my old man
You know you can't hold me forever
I didn't sign up with you
I'm not a present for your friends to open
This boy's too young to be singing
The blues…


It’s May now. It’s the end. It’s the curtain call, the finale B, the coup de grace. The last chapter. The end that comes before the beginning. Life was supposed to have a death after high school before starting up again. Unfortunately, I am learning that life does not even begin until after I step through the “O”.

Yes. A final door.
(*Sigh*) How typical.

So goodbye, Yellow Brick Road
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse
I'm going back to my plough
Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad…


I have all these assignments to finish before the week is over. I also need to find a musical score for the song I want to do for the senior musical showcase. I’m only in there because I was shoved in at the last minute. If I don’t find the music, that will be one more dream from my high school days never realized. It’s from Big River and it’s called “Free at Last”.

Oh, I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the Yellow Brick Road…


It’s good to see that all my friends have dreams and goals to accomplish after high school. One friend wants to be the richest, greatest editor ever. Another wants to be a vet.

What do you think you'll do then?
I bet that'll shoot down your plane
It'll take you a couple of vodka and tonics
To set you on your feet again
Maybe you'll get a replacement
There's plenty like me to be found
Mongrels who ain't got a penny
Sniffing for tidbits like you on the ground.


Another wants to study law and be a negotiator in hostage situations. And another, one of my best friends, wants to be a hospital administrator, own a hospital chain, and perhaps eventually he will put IHC out of business. If he has time, he has joked, he will also own a Panda Express chain.

So goodbye, Yellow Brick Road!
Where the dogs of society howl
You can't plant me in your penthouse,
I'm going back to my plough
Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad…


And me? I don’t know what I want. Except that I don’t want to wake up on June 2nd, 2006.


Oh, I've finally decided
My future lies beyond the Yellow Brick Road.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

I suddenly feel like everything ended. Two seconds before I started typing actually... I was thinking about my feelings on this subject. It's like... Do I even have to step through the "O"? I think the rest is mostly formalities. I think it's done for me. I think that the fact that I'm writing this will mean that there's an encore and I'm yet to be shoved off that stage... But somehow OHS does not seem a part of me any more.

Friday, May 12, 2006 11:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Mavis Fausker said...

Wanting that, Marcus, is enough. Attaining that is enough. You'll have your dreams to fulfill; you already do. You're already on your way, even if you don't quite know where you're going yet.

It's enough.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 9:09:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When a friend of mine injured his ankle during a workout he was asked to restrict his physical exercises by his physician. A complete outdoor person, he found it difficult to go through his day without his daily routine of workouts. It was during this time that he discovered the multiple benefits of swimming as it was a safe form of physical exertion even with an injured ankle. After considering the pros and cons of getting a membership with a club that offered swimming pool facility, he finally settled on the option of getting a private pool installed at his home. A reputed Blue World Pool dealer was referred to him from another common friend and the pool was installed without any hassles.

A Blue World Pool dealer ensures that the client simply has to specify his requirements according to his needs and the location of the swimming pool. The Blue World Pool dealer than models the swimming pool keeping in mind the design, style and shape specified by the client and gets it installed at the most competitive rates available in the market. The reputability of the Blue World Pool dealer ensures that there are no hidden costs and charges involved in the installation process. Also it is always convenient and safe to hire a dealer who can give references of satisfied clients when one have decided to install a swimming pool in the backyard.

Like my friend, many of us remain ignorant about the multiple benefits offered by a Blue World Pool. It is not only a safe physical activity even for people with some sort of an injury but also for family members spanning across all age groups. A swimming pool is as good an option for a pregnant woman as it is for an aged person suffering from painful arthritis. A swim can be a relaxation therapy for the over-stressed office - goers or a fun time activity for the children. Blue World Pool could be the ideal location for a barbeque session with close friends or a pool party venue for your teenaged son. A couple can also enjoy a cozy, romantic evening by their personal poolside only if they have taken the decision to install a swimming pool within their residential area and got it done by a reputed dealer experienced in the task like a Blue World Pool dealer.

A Blue World Pool can also give a workout that tones your muscles and gets you in perfect shape without you enduring the stress related with a hectic physical workout. Swimming increases the endurance level while being extremely beneficial for the heart and lungs. Regular swimmers are also recognized as better team players and have a sportsman spirit that makes them popular in school, office and in any social interaction platform. A

Blue world pool installed in your backyard also enables you to plan more family time and allows you to spend quality time with your loved ones. So considering the manifold benefits of a swimming pool maybe the installation of a pool in your backyard should get some serious consideration on your part.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home