A teenager just can't learn how to grow up in the ruined world he lives in. So how does he cope? He doesn't. He knows that he and the world don't go together. But he's okay with that...beacause at least he knows where he's going.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Departures

My sister told me a couple of days ago that a 16 year-old from Orem had just died while at Lake Powell. Since my friend Trevor Newsom (who I previously called Dan) is at Lake Powell we were concerned that it was him.

I just didn't think it was him. I got this feeling that it wasn't him, but it was someone I knew. I didn't think much of it until today when I was IMing Richard and I thought of asking him. Apparently it was indeed someone I knew. His name is Chase Jesperson. I never really talked to him, but I saw him all the time and he was close friends with my sister as well as a childhood friend of mine. He was in a couple of Richard's classes.

I never knew him for real, but I actually hope that he's okay and that he was all right. His death has really impacted me in ways that I can't talk about here.

I realized that so many people I know seem to be leaving. And that's not just Harry, I'm talking about passing away. Like Owen Cherrington, a man in my neighborhood who got cancer. Also my drama teacher at Orem High, Syd Riggs. I loved her very much. Now this guy who I'm really wishing I knew better named Chase. And also my friend's uncle, Gary, passed away recently.

I asked Richard almost depressed, "Why are so many people leaving?" Then I had to leave to get in the shower, but my sister told me that while I was in the shower Richard answered just before he himself left.

You can read about Richard's response and my thoughts about it on my spiritual blog, "The Rainmaker Confessions", by clicking on the link to the right.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mavis Fausker said...

I just found out about Chase as well. He was in my chemistry class second semester. It kind of scared me. Syd Riggs scared me too, but I never really knew her. The fact that this was someone I saw every day for an entire semester that is no longer living on this earth really shocked me. It still is shocking me. I've never really had anyone I knew die.

Saturday, July 09, 2005 10:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Lindsey said...

Marcus, remember when we were driving around and went to Taco Bell and stuff? I told you something about death and how it's affecting me... You didn't see anything in it. What about now? See, it's... I don't want to talk about it here, but you've kinda told me not to e-mail you. If you want to talk to me, though, please do... Talking to you is different from talking to anyone else.

Sunday, July 10, 2005 6:02:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home